NTTDS is a 501(c)(3) non-profit educational organization that promotes a better understanding and appreciation of American folk dancing, its music, its history, and related folklore. We are a group affiliate of the Country Dance and Song Society.
When In Doubt Swing (WIDS) History
Every spring since 1991, NTTDS has held a weekend dance festival, featuring a nationally known band and caller. The name "When In Doubt, Swing!" came from Penn Fixx at the 1992 event. The name stuck, and the rest is history.
Here is a list of all of them. How many can your remember ?
- Latest One
- 2021: April 23-24, Sokol Athletic Center Caller: TBD Band: TBD
- 2020: April 24-26, Sokol Athletic Center Caller: TBD Band: TBD
- 2019: April 26-28, Sokol Athletic Center Caller: Bob Isaacs Band: Tempest: Chuck Abell (guitar, vocals), Tim Ball (fiddle, vocals), Eric Metzgar (drums), Larry Unger (Bass).
- 2018: April 20-22, Sokol Athletic Center Caller: Seth Tepfer Band: Stringfire: James MacQueen (Fiddle), Caroline McCaskey (Fiddle), Patti Cobb (Piano), Erik Ievins (Bass, Cello).
- 2017: April 21-23, Sokol Athletic Center Caller: Joseph Pimentel Band: Maivish: Adam Broome (Guitar, Bouzouki, Jaw Harp), Jaige Trudel (Fiddle, Cello), Cedar Standistreet (Fiddle).
- 2016: April 15-17, Sokol Athletic Center Caller: Susan Michaels Band: Syncopaths: Ashley Broder (mandolin), Christa Burch (bodhran), Ryan McKasson (fiddle), Jeff Spero (piano).
- 2015: April 17-19: Sokol Athletic Center Caller: Cis Hinkle from Atlanta Coracree from Philadelphia: Jane Rothfield (fiddle, banjo), Allan Carr(string bass, guitar), Bill Quern(tenor and 5 string banjo, melodeon, mandolin, harmonica), and Joe DePaolo (percussion).
- 2014: April 25-27: Sokol Athletic Center Caller: Steve Zakon-Anderson Band: Ladies at Play from Oklahoma: Miranda Arana (flute, foot percussion), Kathy Dagg (guitar, bouzouki, mandolin, tenor banjo), Shanda McDonald (violin, accordion), Garrette McDonald (percussion), and Allison Hicks (keyboard).
- 2013: April 19-21: Sokol Athletic Center Caller: Adina Gordon Band: Rodney Miller and The Blue Ribbon Dance Band: Rodney Miller (fiddle), Sam Bartlett (mandolin), Max Newman (guitar), Mark 'Pokey' Hellenberg (percussion)
- 2012: April 20-22: Sokol Athletic Center Caller: Nils Fredland Band: Elixir: Nils Fredland (trombone, vocals), Ethan Hazzard-Watkins (fiddle), Jesse Hazzard-Watkins (trumpet, flugelhorn), Anna Patton (clarinet, vocals), Owen Morrison (guitar, foot percussion).
- 2011: April 29 - May 1: Sokol Athletic Center Caller: Bev Bernbaum Band: Magic Foot, from Brattleboro, VT: Colin Lindsay (fiddle, concertina), Chris 'Junior' Stevens (button accordian), Brendan Taaffe (fiddle, guitar).
- 2010: April 23-25: Sokol Athletic Center Caller: Bob Dalsemer Band: Evening Star: Claudio Buchwald (Fiddle, Piano, Banjo), David Crandall (Flute, Sax), John Devine (Guitar), Steve Hickman (Fiddle).
- 2009: April 24-26: Sokol Athletic Center Caller: Lynn Ackerson Band: Moving Violations: Van Kaynor (Fiddle), Becky Ashenden (Piano), Ron Grosslein (Fiddle, Mandolin), Chuck Corman (Bass, Guitar, Percussion).
- 2008: April 4-6: Sokol Athletic Center Caller: Nils Fredland Band: Footloose: Pete Campbell (piano, bass), John Davidson (fiddle), David DiGiuseppe (accordian), Dean Herington (clarinet, sax), Jim Roberts (percussion).
- 2007: May 4-6: Sokol Athletic Center Caller: Joseph Pimentel Band: Latter Day Lizards: Peter Barnes (piano/guitar/flute/harmonica), Dave Langford (fiddle/guitar), Bill Tomczak (clarinet/saxophone/banjo uke/dumbek), and special guest Stuart Kenney (bass).
- 2006: April 1 - 3: Sokol Athletic Center Caller: Gaye Fifer Band: The Great Bear Trio: Teenage brothers Andrew (fiddle, guitar, bouzouki, banjo, nyckelharpa, ukulele, bass) and Noah (fiddle, mandolin, percussion, didgeridoo) VanNorstrand and mother Kim (piano).
- 2005: April 1 - 3: Sokol Athletic Center Caller: Jim X. Borzym Band: The Avant Gardeners: Laura Light (fiddle), George Paul (piano, accordion), Roger Gold (guitar), Scottie Williams (percussion).
- 2004: April 30 - May 2: Sokol Athletic Center Caller: Susan Kevra Band: Domino from Quebec: Rachel Aucoin (piano), Richard Forest (violin), Sabin Jacques (accordion).
- 2003: April 4-6, Sokol Athletic Center Caller: Mary Devlin Band: KGB: Julie King (piano), Claude Ginsberg (violin, viola, concertina), Dave Bartley (mandolin, guitar, cittern, etc.).
- 2002: April 5-7, Sokol Athletic Center Caller: Beth Molaro Band: String Beings: Laurie Fisher (fiddle), Art Shuster (mandolin), Tom Troszak (guitar, drum), "Wailin" Cailen Campbell (fiddle).
- 2001: April 6-8,
Sokol Athletic Center Caller: Kathy Anderson
Band: Clayfoot Strutters: Lee Blackwell (drums, guitar), Dave Grant (bass), Mark Roberts (banjo, flute), Jeremiah McLain (piano, accordian), Pete Sutherland (fiddle, piano)
- 2000: March
31-April 2, Dallas Opera Rehearsal Hall Caller: Peter
Band: Popcorn Behavior: Sam Amidon (fiddle), Thomas Bartlett (piano), Keith Murphy (mandolin, guitar), with Mark Hellenberg (percussion)
Cajun Dance workshop by Cory Turner and The SoRelle Brothers Band
- 1999: April 16-18,
Global Hall Caller: David Kaynor
Band: The Greenfield Dance Band: Mary Kay Brass (piano, accordian), David Kaynor (fiddle, guitar), Van Kaynor (fiddle), Stuart Kenney (bass)
Waltz workshop by Phyllis Richmond. Hambo workshop by David Kaynor.
Also music by Blunn Creek from Austin: Max Cappleman (fiddle), Chris Peterson (fiddle, mandolin), Sylvi Salinas (piano), Tim Wooten (harmonica), Roy Wilhite(bass)
- 1998: April 17-19, Lakeview Christian Church
Caller: Lisa Greenleaf
Band: Footloose: Pete Campbell (piano, bass), David DiGiuseppe (accordian, mandolin), Ted Ehrhard (fiddle), Dean Herington (clarinet, guitar, piano)
Hambo workshop by ???
- 1997: April 25-27, Lakeview Christian Church
Caller: Frank Hall
Band: L7's: Bruce Molsky (fiddle), Rafe Stefanini (fiddle), Beverly Smith (guitar)
Smooth Mountain Dance Workshop by Nancy Biehler
- 1996: April 26-28, Walnut Hill Lutheran Church
Caller: Susan Kevra
Band: Peter Barnes (piano, flute), Claudio Buchwald (piano, accordian, guitar, banjo), Steve Hickman (fiddle, hambone, harmonium), Bill Tomczek (clarinet, saxophone)
Hambone Workshop by Steve Hickman
- 1995: April 14-16, Winfrey Point Caller: George
Band: Wild Asparagus: David Cantieni (flute, saxophone), Stuart Kenny (bass), George Marshall (percussion), Ann Percival (piano, guitar), Becky Tracy (fiddle)
- 1994: April 29 - May 1, Highland Park Presbyterian Church
Caller: Mary DesRosiers
Band: Clayfoot Strutters: Lee Blackwell (drums, guitar), Christopher Layer (Highland Pipe, flute), Jeremiah McLain (piano, accordian), Pete Sutherland (fiddle)
- 1993: April 30 - May 2, Winfrey Point Caller -
Band: Hillbillies from Mars: Ray Bierl (fiddle), Paul Kotapish (guitar, mandolin), Daniel Steinberg (piano, flute)
- 1992: May 1-3, Sokol Athletic Center Caller:
Penn Fix (originated "When In Doubt, Swing!")
Band: Sam Bartlett (guitar, mandolin), Ruthie Dornfeld (fiddle), Carol Hamm (string bass)
- 1991: May 3-5, D-Arts Center Caller: Steve Zakon
Band: Fresh Fish: Kerry Elkin, Danny Novek, Gordon Peery
Top of Page
North Texas Traditional Dance Society is a 501(c)(3) organization with registered offices in the State of Texas.
How to contact NTTDS: 972-546-8858 OR OR PO Box 820203, Dallas, TX 75382
Sign up for our email newsletter. Webmaster: Glenn Manuel
Powered by InterServer. Unlimited web hosting: FREE for non-profits, and as little as $4/month for others.